[talk-ch] Changes to HikingNetwork wiki page

Sun Jun 20 18:14:22 CEST 2021

Hi

There was some discussion last month about hiking tagging. And I was
just asked again about some inconsistencies of the HikingNetwork wiki
page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Switzerland/HikingNetwork

I propose some changes to it. First and foremost I would like to clarify
that the network structure is important. That means no way should be
part of multiple lwn relations. And that relations obviously can end on
unnamed guide posts. Nothing we can do if a there is a junction but the
guidepost has no name. This was also discussed with a few mappers at the
Zurich meetup last year and seems uncontentious.

I would also suggest to remove the text "The following section is a
proposal. Comments are welcome" as it is there for more than 10 years now.

Adapted text for section "Hiking path network"

===Recommended tagging===

The hiking network is different from hiking routes discussed above: As a
network, only routes between junctions are linear and therefore, each
route between two junctions (the “edges” of the network) gets its own
route relation. Each part of the network is then part of only one
relation. Each junction (node of the network) should have a guidepost,
as we only map signposted routes.

===Guideposts===

Along the hiking routes you can find guideposts. Some of those
guideposts have a small white signboard with the name of the place
(usually open fields names) and the elevation over mean sea level. They
should be tagged as described on tag:information=guidepost.

[then follows the table, and a bit further down:]

===Routes===

A way between two junctions in the network is tagged as a usual hiking
relation with network=lwn.

I would also like to introduce a Required? column to the tables, like it
is often done on other wiki pages.

Tag                  	Required?
tourism=information  	required
information=guidepost	required
name=*               	optional if there is one
ele=*                	optional if there is one
hiking=yes           	optional
image=*             	optional

Tag          	Required?
type=route   	required
route=hiking 	required
network=lwn  	required
symbol=*     	optional
osmc:symbol=*   optional
operator=*   	optional
osmc:name=*  	optional

The route name tag:

That seems a bit disputed. I feel this tag was forced by a particular
renderer, the "OSMC Reit- und Wanderkarte". There are two tags, name=
and osmc:name and I see that the name tag was added to the wiki page in
2018, which I seem to have missed. I would like to remove name again,
but add from= and to= to the table, hopefully a better way to help
mappers to identify relations.

Michael