[talk-ch] Overpass server delay query

European Water Project europeanwaterproject at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 18:56:17 CET 2020

Hi Marc (or anyone else),

As suggested by Michael a while back, I am scanning the globe once a week
for water fountains (modern and historic) in a nested loop of bboxes. After
getting all the individual scans, I append them into one large geojson file
..  I scan for fountains with a bbox size of 10x10.

I seem to get a faster response using overpass turbo at overpass-turbo.eu
using the web interface than with the API. Is this normal ?  The total size
of the all the responses combined in one file is relatively small : about
50MB (after appending them all in one json file).

It takes me on average about 3 hours to get all the data I need for my
database.  Do you have any suggestions for how I might improve the
process?  Or maybe, what I am doing seems ok ?

Thank you for your advice,

Stuart

[out:json][timeout:150];

(
  node["amenity"="drinking_water"]({{bbox}});
  node["drinking_water"="yes"]({{bbox}});
);
// print results
out body;