[talk-ch] User that used SwissTopo maps to add/update data in OSM

Raphael Das Gupta lists.openstreetmap.ch at raphael.dasgupta.ch
Tue May 15 16:34:49 CEST 2018

Hallo Hikarus

On 15.05.2018 16:20, Hikerus wrote:
> But the copyright of postal codes is by Swiss Post.
Postal codes per se are probably not copyrightable or otherwise legally
protectable. A list/database of postal codes might be protectable, though.

> So I did it wrong
Not necessarily. What was your source for this change? Your local
knowledge (because you're one of the people receiving letters there)?
Then everything is fine. (Except that the postal code might not be valid
for the whole village, but that is a correctness issue, not a legal one.)

If however your source was a copyrighted or otherwise protected database
or list, be it by Swiss Post or anyone else, then the situation would
different.

How can you determine what your source was? Well, did you have to
actually look up your postal code somewhere, or did you already know it
due to regular usage?

> I have to change back to the wrong one?
No, that'd be pointless, as potentially illegally copied information
would remain in OSM's history. The data working group (DWG)
<https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Data_Working_Group> of the
OpenStreetMap Foundation can redact such legally problematic changes if
necessary, which will remove the information in question also from the
history.

Regards,
Raphael