[talk-ch] addr:suburb in Bern + tagging POI -> Standort

Selfish Seahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:34:30 CEST 2018

On 4 June 2018 at 23:10, Andreas Bürki <abuerki at anidor.com> wrote:
>> I see it the same way Marc does. An address usually belongs to a
>> building and therefore should only be added to the building (or part
>> of it). I also don't duplicate addresses for restaurants or shops,
>> because I think that a map application should get that information
>> form the building area, the same way as for example addr:country is
>> taken from the country multipolygon.
>

> One exception will always remain: Buildings (e.g. Shopping malls,
> commercial centers) with several, different postal addresses and
> entrances. There, adding addr=* to businesses is the only way to display
> the correct address.

Yes, this is the only case where I duplicate addresses, as there
doesn't seem to be an alternative at the moment.

>> In my opinion, we shouldn't try
>> to fix the mentioned deficiencies of the OSM homepage with tagging.
>

> Sure. - But as long mentioned deficiencies are not fixed, adding addr=*
> to businesses as well, is the only way to add value for web browser OSM
> users.

Are the developers of the OSM homepage aware of these deficiencies?
Has this issue already been reported?

>> Something else regarding the fountains in Bern: Are names like
>> 'Brunnen Lorrainestrasse Ecke Schulweg', 'Brunnen Spielplatz
>> Rosengarten' or 'Brunnen Innenhof ehemaliges Gebäude Schweizer
>> Mobiliar' really known names of these fountains?
>

> No. Fountain names in Bern are a bit of a mess. There are several
> sources, where you can find fountain names (but not all of them in one
> document/place) as e.g.:
>
> [...]

Apart from the fact that these sources may not be compatible with the
OSM license, these seem to be internal references of the fountains,
not names, as that's not how these fountains are known to the general
public.

> It rather seems to me
>> that these are descriptions.
>

> True. - Otherwise: No name or tons of fountains with name "Brunnen"

If they don't have a name better not adding one.