[talk-ch] Proposed mechanical edit: fountain names/descriptions in Bern

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 23:40:02 CEST 2018

Hi Marc, hi everyone

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 at 23:18, marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> but for me it doesn't go far enough.
> Andreas as lonvia says (if I'm not mistaken), there's a conceptual error
> in what you put in the osm database and I get the impression that every
> attempt to solve this problem results in a new version of the same problem.
>
> [...]
>
> duplicate it with addr:* nor duplicate it with description solve the
> main issue.

Same opinion. This is why I proposed Wikidata. Unfortunately, uMap
doesn't seem to work with data from Wikidata ... However, it would be
better to not fix that with tagging in OSM.

> PS1: the bassin of a fountain isn't a barrier=retaining_wall
> if you want to micro-map it, it's maybe better to tag it as
> landuse=reservoir + content=water
> like the one I have fixed https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8322503

If I understand the wiki right, landuse=reservoir is mainly used for
artificial lakes. To me, it seems landuse=basin, which Andreas uses,
is correct. Regarding the basin border, barrier=retaining_wall really
fells a bit odd, especially in winter, when the basin is empty. Maybe
barrier=wall would be better?

By the way, does anyone have a better idea how to tag this water pump
on a playground (see picture in image tag):
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5732793622>? In my opinion, it
isn't a fountain, which is why I removed amenity=fountain and invented
playground=water_pump.

Regards, Markus