[talk-ch] OSM + Wikidata: No stable OSM IDs, meaning of source=survey in OSM

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 01:54:08 CEST 2018

Thanks Raphael for bringing this up. I want to backup your doubts.

Dear Beat

Although many (third party) apps are using OSM ID's, it is strongly
recommended to abstain using such an "ID", especially in projects like
Wikidata. Even the OSM relation ID should never have passed it's
proposal to become a Wikidata property.

Use coordinate property in the first place. This is also what this
extension https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Kartographer
does.

Discussion about OSM IDs are repeatedly coming up in OSM mailing
lists, and let to the "Permanent ID" proposal which is still in
experimental stage. The idea is to use properties of an object to
identify it: see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID .

I hope you understand these reasonings and withdraw your Wikidata
property proposal:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Authority_control#OSM_node_ID

:Stefan