[talk-ch] Map consistency - private floating islands

Kai Pankrath kai.pankrath at gmx.de
Sat Jul 7 10:50:31 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I am working on the map quality using https://www.keepright.at (as well as
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/) and encountered the "floating island"
problem (ways not connected to the rest of the map). I came across one
specific situation and can think of another:

1.	The way is in a private garden and the only access would be
"through" the house (physical entering through the main entrance and
potentially entering a garden through a terrace door) like here:
https://www.keepright.at/report_map.php?zoom=19
<https://www.keepright.at/report_map.php?zoom=19&lat=47.55724&lon=7.6253&lay
ers=B0T&ch=0%2C130&show_ign=0&show_tmpign=0>
&lat=47.55724&lon=7.6253&layers=B0T&ch=0%2C130&show_ign=0&show_tmpign=0
2.	I have not found a good example, but you can think of a park with
limited access and entrance as well as exit are only possible through the
building (e.g. a castle or museum where you pay a fee to access other
areas).

Basic question: How to map that? I see one option for private ways: I would
simply add "access=private" and any consistency checker could pick that up
in the future ignoring "private" islands. For more public-like situations I
am not so sure. Adding a highway=footway/tunnel=yes (+layer?) through the
building? Adding properties at the end points of the way networks similar to
amenity=parking_entrance (+creating a relation between these points)? Any
suggestions?

Regards,

Kai