[talk-ch] Proposed mechanical edit: fountain names/descriptions in Bern (was: Re: addr:suburb in Bern + tagging POI -> Standort)

Selfish Seahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:52:54 CEST 2018

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 at 08:57, Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de> wrote:
> OSM is a geospatial database that stores locations
> in the form of geo-coordinates. The coordinates are also useful to figure
> out the relative position to surrounding objects (aka: look at the map).
> If you rather like to have a database that stores location in the form of
> textual descriptions, so be it. I just don't think OSM is the place
> to dump all that information.

I agree with you. Perhaps Wikidata would be the better place to store
location descriptions as well as those descriptive names. I also still
wonder whether the sources from which Andreas got the names of the
fountains [^1] are permissible on OSM. As far as I know, this
shouldn't be a problem on Wikidata.

[^1]: <http://lists.openstreetmap.ch/pipermail/talk-ch/2018-June/009578.html>

Cheers

Markus