[talk-ch] Same procedure as last year... (municipality mergers 2019)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Dec 28 14:16:10 CET 2018

Am 19.12.2018 um 09:38 schrieb Sarah Hoffmann:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:42:26AM +0100, Simon Poole wrote:
>> Jonathan we've been though this multiple time.
>>
>> The pre-merge municipalities do -completely- cease to exist as such and
>> do not have any administrative borders of their own after the merger*.
>> Mapping these as admin level 9 is simply wrong (I can live with
>> retaining the borders as historic even though they are meaningless).
> admin level 9 is certainly wrong here but how about retagging the old
> boundaries into place areas, so that the extent of the villages is not
> lost.
>
> That would make likely Jonathan and surely the geocoders happy.

My main issue with doing that is that many municipalities consist of
more than one place, and while there was a hierarchical relationship
with the original municipality, that has been replaced with one with the
new municipality. If the old municipality is also a place with some kind
of determinable extent (for example the built up area), I would prefer
to use that. It is just really that mapping places as areas is still
somewhat in flux that causes some pain there.