[talk-ch] 2017 municipality mergers (Simon Poole)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun May 7 19:56:16 CEST 2017

Am 07.05.2017 um 14:27 schrieb Jonathan Masur:
> While we're on the topic, I think it's a good idea to remain the
> former municipality boundaries with admin_level=10, rather than delete
> them. In most merged municipalities I know, there is a requirement for
> example to have an equal representation of older municipality in
> commisions (<- I do not know the english term), and it is now possible
> for people to have a former municipality that merged as a "place of
> origin" (<- I do not know the english term either). This means the
> former boundaries still somehow "exist", in the hearts of people if
> not administratively. Consequently the older municipality relation can
> also be kept with an "admin_level=10". This is not required, but I'd
> say it's recommanded, it costs nothing to keep them (simply change
> admin_level) rather than remove them.
> ..
Naturally it costs something to maintain them, and given there is no way
to verify them post merger*, they would simply decay, annoying everybody
in the process.

Simon

* with the exception of such which are turned in to "quarters" in larger
cities, which even if iffy, I believe there is general agreement to
support that if there is a source available.