[talk-ch] Address on POI inside a building with address

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 01:28:48 CEST 2017

I think the data is OK like this even if add is redundant. You should
not - but you can add addr-tags to POIs.

There are tools (including geoname search like Nominatim, geocoders
and my OSMNames.org project) who have to deal with this redndancy.

Some aspects of this is discussed in the wiki [1]: "Usually address
informations doesn't need to be duplicated, (...) and duplicated
addresses are often flagged as errors by quality assurance tools.
However, there is still some debate on that point (see for example
Address information in POI *and* building? on help.openstreetmap.org).
Also, the community in some countries has established their own
rules."

Two other issues are raised here: validaton and styling. Validation
tools IMHO are often too restrict [2].

Regarding styling, not all POIs can be rendered. In this case it's
"craft=shoemaker". IMHO "shop=shoes" would be rendered.

In order to propose a new styling to OSM default style (OpenStreetMap
Carto), I think you would have to make an issue there [3].

:Stefan

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#How_to_map_addresses
[2] https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/47319/osmose-error-number-twice-in-the-street-when-adding-a-poi-with-house-number
[3] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues