[talk-ch] Pls, don't delete sidewalks, visual impaired people might use them

Andreas Bürki abuerki at anidor.com
Thu Aug 24 21:09:28 CEST 2017

Am 24.08.2017 um 19:27 schrieb marc marc:
> Hello,
>
> It is not me :-)

Lucky you. ;-)

> But as talk a few weeks on talk mailing list, create a separate walkway
> when in fact it is actually connected to the road breaks the routing.
> A routing suggests that you can always cross the road when in reality it
> is not always true (barrier, hedge, ...).
> Another assumes that you can never cross if there is no path between the
> barrier and the road.
> For now, IMHO the best solution is to add the tag sidewalk to the road
> when the counter is against the road. The kerb tag is then useful for
> people with reduced mobility. The geographic precision is less but in
> any case the gps regularly have an imprecision as great as the width of
> the road.

Hmmm... not sure about that. IMHO the prob with tag sidewalk added to
highway is, the the width of the street. How a gps will know it?

Personally I prefer separate mapping of sidewalks. And of course, you
have to do that carefully in order not to break other mapping/routing.

> There is a proposal to improve routing for separate trotters but it is
> not completed and no routing to my knowledge uses it
>
> PS: Look for the example described on talk, you will see funny results.

Any link?

cheeers, h.