[talk-ch] Fwd: [Wikimediach-l] Wikimedia Hackathon 2014

Andreas B├╝rki abuerki at anidor.com
Thu May 15 06:22:12 CEST 2014

FYI...

cheeers, h.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	[Wikimediach-l] Wikimedia Hackathon 2014
Datum: 	Thu, 15 May 2014 01:20:47 +0200
Von: 	Patrick Kenel <patkenel at hotmail.com>
Antwort an: 	Wikimedians in Switzerland <wikimediach-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
An: 	wikimediach-l at lists.wikimedia.org
<wikimediach-l at lists.wikimedia.org>, chapters at wikimedia.ch
<chapters at wikimedia.ch>

Dear all,

Last weekend, Wikimedia CH has been the host of the annual Wikimedia
Hackathon at the Youth Hostel in Zurich. About 160 developers from more
than 30 countries worked for nearly three days on improving the
MediaWiki interface, building future improvements for Wikipedia such as
map support, and improving bug reporting and management. Bringing highly
skilled people together in one place ensured that a lot of very good
work was done. Even though I've visited the event only
temporarily, I was pleased to have a conversion with a participant from
Japan or to learn more about OpenStreetMap. Here's a blog post with a
summary of the hackathon by an experienced member of the Wikimedia tech
community:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/05/10/tech-wizards-behind-wikipedia-meet-in-zurich-for-hackathon/.

One highlight of the hackathon was Lila Tretikov's visit. As of June
1st, Lila will be the new Executive Director at the Wikimedia Foundation
in San Francisco, replacing Sue Gardner. This was her very first direct
contact with the Community. She gave a quick talk and a Q&A, which you
can watch in this video:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2014-05-10_Wikimedia_Hackathon_Lila_Tretikov.webm.

The whole event went very smoothly, and the feedback so far has been
excellent. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank again everyone
involved (staff and volunteers), and in particular Manuel Schneider, for
a tremendous work.

Best regards,

Patrick Kenel, President
~~~~
www.wikimedia.ch <http://www.wikimedia.ch>

------
File:Wikimedia Hackathon WMCH A900 231.jpg, Author: Christian Meixner,
CC-BY 3.0