[talk-ch] Swiss Postal Codes

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun May 26 16:54:11 CEST 2013

Am 26.05.2013 15:17, schrieb Stefan Keller:
> e we have multiple post codes in use.
> The PLZ boundaries define concisely (meaning at building level) where
> the boundaries are.
> What do mean by "places where we have multiple post codes in use"?

There are essentially two to three disjoint concepts for human
settlements in use in Switzerland: muinicipalities (Gemeinden, you could
argue that these are not really places, but in practice they are used as
such), places (Orte) and postal places (Ortschaften). There is no one to
one relationship betweens these, for example on average there are 1.5
places to a municipality (increasing) and a majority cover more than one
postal code area. The example I give on the website is a nice example
where part of the territory of Spreitenbach is in the postal code area
of Dietikon and parts of Dietikon are in the area of Schlieren which in
turn has areas in ....

Simon

PS:  for the reasons above, I'm not really convinced that assigning
names to the postal places is a useful concept