[talk-ch] Dam does not render - it is rendered on OpenMTBmap

Mohamed Ellozy m_ellozy at post.harvard.edu
Sat Aug 31 21:24:01 CEST 2013

Thorsten,

Many thanks for your helpful comments!

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Thorsten Kurz <tkurz at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Mohamed,
>
> "Don't tag for the renderer" is a general rule of OSM, which actually
> means "Don't deliberately enter data incorrectly for the renderer".
>
> Personally I prefer to speak in a way that can be understood by the
> people I'm speaking to and in the same vein, I prefer to tag my data in
> a way that can be understood by my favourite OSM maps. So I can
> understand that it's frustrating if your work is ignored by a map that
> you care about.

I certainly see your point here!

One way to deal with it would be to draw the dam as a simple way instead
> of an area and tag it with waterway=dam and highway=*. 1136 or 1.21%
> percent of dams worldwide are tagged this way, e.g. in Montsalvens
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/37300714).

I was initially going to ask if that was legitimate, since it seemed the
simplest solution.  But I was not happy with that approach.  I accept (not
too happily) the highway=bridge construct, since the main purpose of the
bridge is to carry the highway.  But the purpose of the dam is not to carry
the path :)