[talk-ch] bike and pedestrian routing for Switzerland

Philipp Schultz swissoptimist at gmx.ch
Sat Oct 27 20:34:21 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have tried to route my usual bike trips between work at Bern and
home at Biel/Bienne
and I am impressed by the quality of the routing. Even as indigenous biker
I got a few useful hints for alternative routes. I think that tool is
already a very useful planning help.

To increase the comfort for bikers, the routing algorithm should take in
account elevation, meaning if there is a route around a hill I would prefer
a few km more than 100 m elevation. This may also be realised with a
diferentiated speed scale like:
+-3%     28 kmh
+5%      20 kmh
+8%      15 kmh
-5%       35 kmh
-8%       50 kmh

Since bikers have quite different requirements regarding pavement - I have
a bike (Tourenrad / vélo de randonée) that fits to any pavement but single
trails only descending -  this should be a setting like
 road (only paved)
 touring (paved unpaved including tracks and easy trails)
 mountain bike (only trails)

Thanks
Philipp

--