[talk-ch] bike and pedestrian routing for Switzerland

Michel Schinz michel.schinz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 13:45:42 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de> wrote:
[...]
> Try it out and let me know if you have suggestions to improve the profiles.

So, I played a bit more with your router, and have two remarks:

1. In "bike" mode, one-way restrictions are ignored, and while this
may correspond to the riding style of some people, it can produce some
quite dangerous routes... One example is the following one:
http://osrm.at/1Br If you switch the profile to "car", you'll see that
the route changes to avoid going against the trafic in the "Rue des
Parcs" (a very dangerous thing to do given how busy the area is).

2. In "bike" mode, it seems that the router considers everything
tagged with "highway=path" as a potential route, and this can lead it
to suggest some really tricky routes. One example is the following
one: http://osrm.at/1Bs The path that starts at the information sign
("i" on the map) and then goes through the forest is not suitable at
all for biking. While doable on a mountain bike, this path is
completely unsuitable for normal biking: it's a steep single track
with a few parts that are tricky to negotiate.

I don't really have a good suggestion for this second problem, but
maybe having separate profiles for road and mountain bikes would be a
good idea. The profile for road bikes would take only paved roads,
while the one for mountain bikes would consider unpaved roads/paths
too. There could also be a third profile (for city bikes, or what we
call "vélos tous chemins" in French) that would consider unpaved but
easy paths as valid, but I fear that this is very hard to do without
an improvement in the tagging of the paths and/or information about
the terrain.

HTH,
Michel.