[talk-ch] bike and pedestrian routing for Switzerland

Michel Schinz michel.schinz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:26:34 CEST 2012

2012/10/26 Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de>:
[...]
> J'ai reduit un peu la vitesse, mais ce qui manque vraiment encore,
> ce sont des informations sur l'altitude. Sans eux, les temps seront
> pas trop utile.

Indeed, and routing for bikes would also benefit greatly from
information about the terrain. I tried today to bike one of the route
suggested by your site, and while it was (a bit) shorter than the
route I usually take, it was slower because it was a lot more hilly.
(I must say that the roads were quieter than the ones I usually take,
which was great).

As far as I know, the router software itself doesn't take terrain into
account, and supporting it would probably be a major undertaking (but
I read somewhere that it was one of the planned features). In the
meantime, would it be possible for you to add the hill-shading layer,
as you did on waymarkedtrails.org? It could be useful in judging how
hilly a proposed route is.

Michel.