[talk-ch] Street name comparison for all of Switzerland

Fri Nov 9 16:10:12 CET 2012

Hi

On 09.11.2012 14:32, Michel Schinz wrote:
> agreeing on one convention for capitalization.
No, don't make some arbitrary rules. If you want consistent
capitalization for your application/renderer, the right thing to do is
to apply this rules to your local copy of osm data. It is always easy to
apply some strict rules with an algorithm.

Of course, feel free to use common sense to resolve contradictions
("[...] better and more consistent in OSM, fixing obvious errors"). Like
in the examples you described, you usually have a feeling for what it
should be. If they used an all caps font which dropped the accents, add
them, fair enough. Also the information of capital letters is lost with
an all caps font. Now you could look what kind of capitalization is
common in that region, and apply that. Or use rules from swisstopo.

And of course expand abbreviations. That would be really hard for an
algorithm to get right.

In short, the rule should be: name tag is what is written on the street
sign. But take it with a grain of salt.

Back on-topic: I like the GWR comparison. Already searched and mapped
some streets in my vicinity.

I noticed a lot of "places" in my community which are names of farms.
Don't know where to get the information for those best.

Michael