[talk-ch] Street name comparison for all of Switzerland

Michel Schinz michel.schinz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:32:25 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Yves <yvecai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't there a consensus to have what is written on street plates in the
> 'name' tag ?

I hope not, personally. Street plates are very inconsistent even in a
single village.

I know of at least one case in Givisiez where two plates on the same street
have a different name on them, because of a typo.

And in les Geneveys-sur-Coffrane, which I mapped recently, some plates are
in capitals only without accents (e.g. "RUE DES MELEZES" [the last word
should be Mélèzes]), others are in capitals only but with accents (e.g.
"RUE DES CRÔTETS") and the more recent ones are only capitalized, and with
accents. There's even a funny case where two adjacent plates follow two
different conventions despite the fact that the street names are almost the
same: the two plates read "RUE DES FRÊNES" and "RUE DES FRENES-DESSOUS"
(notice the lack of accent in the second plate). I think we should strive
for something better and more consistent in OSM, fixing obvious errors and
agreeing on one convention for capitalization.

Michel.