[talk-ch] Ask for mediation

Danilo gezuru at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 22:03:13 CEST 2011

My opinion about this issue:

As long as we don't have either up to date, high resolution,
offset-corrected aerial imagery for almost all of switzerland or
positioning devices that are accurate up to a few centimeters, I don't
really see the point of tracing the borders of paths and small roads,
as the accuracy can't be determined by someone who looks at the map.
High details in mapping send a message of accuracy. If that accuracy
can't be guaranteed, it might be better to map less detailed. Else,
people will stop to rely on the OSM data, because they're very unsure
about the accuracy.

As for correcting other people's work, I agree that this should only
be done if one is sure that the other person's changes are indeed
erroneous. E.g. if there are up to date high resolution and *correctly
aligned* satellite images, or if you have accurate GPS traces
yourself. If you're unsure, you should leave it as it is, and check
reality first. Satellite images might be off a little.

Concerning mapping larger objects as wide roads or rivers as areas, I
don't see the problem. But to map the borders of small objects
accurately, one needs an accurate data source.

Danilo