[talk-ch] Bicycle route tagging

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Jun 27 01:23:56 CEST 2011

Hi all,

The other day I noticed the way cycle routes are tagged in
Switzerland.  There, the usage of the name tag differs from the general
usage of name tags within OSM.  IMHO, we should not deviate from
established tagging practices without a really good reason.

Therefore, I took the liberty to modify
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/EN:Switzerland/CycleNetwork#Recommended_tagging_with_relations
and to change the name tag to be in line with the way it is used
elsewhere in OSM and also
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycle_routes#Relations

I also noticed that some relations have quite elaborate and long
names. To reduce these to be just the names I have added the description
and description:xx tags.  There, the start and end points and possibly
other information for the data user can be noted.

I know there are arguments for the tagging the way it is now.  The name
tag gets displayed in JOSM and it is not rendered on any map anyway.
But, we don't want to tag for editors and the map renderings might
change and who knows who is rendering maps with and what styles anyway.

I propose to change the tagging according to the current version of the
wiki page.  Unless there are strong objections I will start with that in
a week or so.

Happy mapping,

Matthias