[talk-ch] Import OpenAdresses

Marc Schneider ml at marcschneider.org
Sat Mar 13 07:47:34 CET 2010

Am 12.03.2010 23:29, schrieb Sarah Hoffmann:
> Sounds to me, like it is very similar to GeoNames and there the consensus
> is that it is not a valid source. Read more here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geonames
>
> Sarah

agree with you! the curcial information (geo location) is derived from
google aerial imagery / maps. I don't see how that is compatible with
our OSM license model.

the only thing we can do is check which data was "sponsored" (e.g. Zug
has been mentioned previously?) and contact those people directly in
order to receive the rights to import their (raw!) data into OSM. But
I'm clearly against a direct import of openaddress data, no matter where
it came from.

If a decision has been made we should set up a wiki page (like the
geonames one) and edit the pages listing openaddresses as a potential
data source.

Marc.