[talk-ch] tag for "half-tunnel" (galerie in French)

Sun Nov 22 22:19:23 CET 2009

Hi Andrew,

>> [Understand gallery]

> This native English speaker would not.

:)

>   gallery
>       [...]
>       3: a room or series of rooms where works of art are exhibited
>          [syn: {gallery}, {art gallery}, {picture gallery}]
>       [...]

I  think (3) is the most used meaning of gallery and it should be used
in OSM in this way (e.g. museum=gallery, shop=gallery).

> In  fact,  i  cannot  think of a half-tunnel in the UK. We generally
> don't have to worry about avalanches or stone fall, the main purpose
> of a gallery in CH.

As in the other example, it can also be used not to protect the street
but  just  to  expand  the area above street level. Here an example of
Zurich:

http://maps.google.ch/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.384956,8.537377&spn=0.000523,0.002411&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=47.38511,8.536897&panoid=--xkldHvgQNVO9AAMz8iLA&cbp=11,123.77,,0,5.9

But  you're  right,  mostly  they are built to protect the street from
something.  Still,  the  tag  to describe it should be usable for both
cases.

> It might be worth asking somebody in the USA. There could be a dialect
> word which i as an British English speaker do not know about. Or they
> have extended the 5th definition above to include roads?

I  think it's best to use a descriptive Key/Tag that anyone can under-
stand.  Especially if even you as a native haven't got a 'proper' word
for it..

Regards,
Thomas