[talk-ch] tag for "half-tunnel" (galerie in French)

Andrew Lunn andrew at lunn.ch
Sun Nov 22 12:45:14 CET 2009

> (*) Brings the problem of ambiguity I'm not even sure, if 'gallery' is
>    understood by an English native (it's 'Galerie' in German).

This native English speaker would not. 

      1: spectators at a golf or tennis match
      2: a porch along the outside of a building (sometimes partly
         enclosed) [syn: {veranda}, {verandah}, {gallery}]
      3: a room or series of rooms where works of art are exhibited
         [syn: {gallery}, {art gallery}, {picture gallery}]
      4: a long usually narrow room used for some specific purpose;
         "shooting gallery"
      5: a covered corridor (especially one extending along the wall
         of a building and supported with arches or columns)
      6: narrow recessed balcony area along an upper floor on the
         interior of a building; usually marked by a colonnade
      7: a horizontal (or nearly horizontal) passageway in a mine;
         "they dug a drift parallel with the vein" [syn: {drift},
         {heading}, {gallery}]

Looking at these definitions, you can see a link to the concept used
in CH for half-tunnels, but in UK the word Gallery is not used
for this. In fact, i cannot think of a half-tunnel in the UK. We
generally don't have to worry about avalanches or stone fall, the main
purpose of a gallery in CH.

It might be worth asking somebody in the USA. There could be a dialect
word which i as an British English speaker do not know about. Or they
have extended the 5th definition above to include roads?


More information about the talk-ch mailing list