[talk-ch] Access-Restrictions

Sun Aug 16 09:13:43 CEST 2009

Hi Thomas

Thomas Ineichen wrote:
> The Signalisationsverordnung[1] states in Article 33[2]:
>
>  states:
>
> "Andere  Strassenbenützer  [als Fussgänger bzw. Reiter] sind auf Fuss-
> und  Reitwegen  nicht  zugelassen."  So  bridleways  and  (signposted)
> footways are for the correspondent group only.

You're absolutely right with this. And I actually didn't know/consider it.
>> For foot ways, things are not so clear. I think, usually ways which have
>> a ban of driving sign (the red circle, white center  sign) are tagged as
>> foot ways.
>>

> I  normally  tag such ways as highway=track|path and vehiecle=no (this
> scheme  is  also  mentioned  in  the Wiki as the favoured way). To me,
> footways need to have a blue sign..

It wasn't clear to me. Perhaps this should be added to the swiss map
features. I also think that there are a lot of wrongly tagged ways out
there in that case. Those blue signs are quite scarce, except in
parallel to some bigger streets. But I see lots of cycle and foot ways
on their own. I don't know if this issue has been discussed already. For
example in my area there are a few non-numbered cycle routes (just
marked with the destinations) And I found it quite nice when those were
tagged as cycleway, because they are drawn differently on the map.
> Stéphane  Brunner, you changed bicycle=no for footways to bicycle=yes.
> Why?  What footways do you have in mind where cycling is allowed? IMHO
> cycling is not allowed there.
>

> What I ask myself:
>
> The  Signalisationsverordnung only makes a clear statement about foot-
> and  bridleways.  It  says nowhere that pedestrians are not allowed on
> cycleways. Nevertheless, the sign 2.60[3] (Radweg) is normally used to
> sign a way that should only be used by cyclists. Furthermore, there is
> a  sign  2.63  (gemeinsamer Rad- und Fussweg). Where is the rule, that
> cycleways are only for cyclists? Otherwise, 2.63 would not be needed..

Well I wouldn't care too much in the case, that only ways signaled with
those blue signs should be tagged as cycle/foot ways, because they
usually only appear in parallel to some bigger road. And, quite
frequently, pedestrians share the cycleway. How about this: we will tag
it also as a cycle way, if it is shared use like 2.63. If it is no
shared use, tag it with foot=no. Because the shared use is more frequent
for all I know.
But if this site should reflect the actually used tagging, then it
definitely should say yes to pedestrians and horses on cycleways.

Grüsse, yours
Datendelphin