[talk-ch] Local rules for Wikidata/Wikipedia

Marc M. marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:33:33 CET 2022

Le 14.11.22 à 10:46, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :

> Nov 14, 2022, 09:09 by marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Le 13.11.22 à 21:47, Imagoiq a écrit :
>
>         1) Do we have local rules for Wikidata/Wikipedia
>

>     my reply isn't about local rule :)
>
>         1. Do you expect wikipedia tag to present if possible or is linking
>         with just wikidata considered as OK?
>         2. Do you expect wikidata tag to present if possible or is
>         linking with
>         just wikipedia considered as OK?
>

>     osm is made with human readable strings and the first "rule" goes
>     against it. i have no problem with an object having a WP tag without
>     wikidata tag.
>
>     however, i think that there is no interest to report a "wikidata
>     without wikipedia" nor a "wikipedia without wikipedia" to a human,
>     it's a non-problem that doesn't deserve to spend time on it in my
>     eyes, the user of the data who would like to use one or the other
>     knows easily to find the other element if it is missing.
>     I have no objection to a mechanical edition that would add the
>     missing tag but I don't see any point in it either, the one who uses
>     the data should add it at that moment to take into account the new
>     cases.
>
> For me main benefits are
> - of adding wikipedia tag: data becomes human readable

ok

> - of adding wikidata tag: makes easier to fix wikipedia tag in case where
> Wikidata editors decided to rename article (moves related to dashes,
> emdashes, brackets and similar are really liked by some)

does the rename sometime lost the redirect from the previous name ?
if not, the wikidata is useless to follow/fix a redirect in the WP key

> I was trying to probe individual user to check whether asking
> entire community makes sense.

it make sense :)

looking at our list more closely :
- follow wikipedia redirect : ok (indeed redirect may be wrong but
that's may need a rule that target the issue more closely)

- (only one) wikipedia key in an outdated form : ok

- without wikipedia tag, with wikidata tag present that provides
article : I don't object

-wikidata from wikipedia tag : I don't object

- wikipedia tag in an outdated form for removal : ok

many out wikipedia in an outdated form (wikipedia:de', 'wikipedia:en',
'wikipedia:fr') : *not ok*
for ex https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1686710 should not get
an wikipedia=en: but of course the wikipedia=fr: one.
I don't know if the information is available or not for all those objects.
it would also be necessary to see how the case of regions with more than
one official language is treated (there are cases with Bern in the list)

2 suggestions :
- add a table of content with the name of all topic
- a "fix in one clic" like with osmose and/or an osmose rule (osmose
have already some basic check) would be practical, it would have allowed
me to solve directly all the review cases

Regards,
Marc
--
In memory Roger, thanks for all