[talk-ch] Local rules for Wikidata/Wikipedia

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Mon Nov 14 11:46:40 CET 2022

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 10:46:03AM +0100, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> For me main benefits are
> - of adding wikipedia tag: data becomes human readable
> - of adding wikidata tag: makes easier to fix wikipedia tag in case where
> Wikidata editors decided to rename article (moves related to dashes, emdashes,
> brackets and similar are really liked by some)
>
> See
> https://matkoniecz.github.io/OSM-wikipedia-tag-validator-reports/Schweiz%20-%20Suisse%20-%20Svizzera%20-%20Svizra%20(Switzerland%20-%20Szwajcaria)%20-%20obvious.html#wikipedia%20wikidata%20mismatch%20-%20follow%20wikipedia%20redirect
> that could be fixed with automatic edit rather with manual one thanks
> to presence of wikidata confirming the target of redirect.

Not all redirects are bad and should be automatically replaced. Sometimes they
are there for a reason.

Example: the hamlet of Hurnen
In OSM: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3099480616

It has a wikipedia tag of de:Hurnen, which is fine. It can be considered a
placeholder for its own page which at the moment still redirects to the
page of Eschlikon, which it is part from.

The wikidata tag was derived automatically from the wikipedia tag not
taking this situation into account. So it's not a reliable source.

The correct handling here would be to delete the wikidata tag.

NB: the fact that the wikidata page has Hurnen and Wallenwil as
alternative names of Eschlikon makes me seriously question the usefuleness of
wikidata.

Sarah