[talk-ch] vandalism under the pretense of "simplifying"

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Jul 1 22:42:03 CEST 2022

Am 01.07.22 um 22:06 schrieb Marc Mongenet:
> The only problem is that you accuse of vandalism people who are
> "simplifying" some of your edits. For me, it is far from obvious that
> this simplification is bad, and I write that, because I found cases when
> deleting 95% of your nodes actually improves the map.

An intelligent simplification would be an improvement. But
simplification performed with a crappy automated tool that generates
weird zig-zag lines and sharp angles? Not a fan.

As a relative outsider, I don't have much of a stake in this discussion.
But I think the mood in this conversation could be less defensive if the
participants first acknowledged that, even though simplification might
be called for, this is not the right way to do it.