[talk-ch] New Membership Outreach

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Aug 31 07:15:26 CEST 2022

Am 30.08.2022 um 22:48 schrieb Paul Brunner:
> Would theWelcome Tool  <https://welcome.osm.be >  (wiki pagehere  <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Welcome_tool>) be helpful in welcoming
> and orienting new members?

It more or less does the same thing I do, a bit more automated, but I'm
not sure it actually saves anything in everyday use.

Sending a welcome mail is 1 click on the mail from the RSS feed, one
click on the user account link, one click on the "Send message" button,
one click on the title field and a key press, one click and paste for
the welcome text, one click to send. Once everything is set up that is
really fast, aka a couple of seconds. We typically have a bit over 1'000
new contributors each year, so at worst we are talking about 2-3 hours /
year just sending the messages.

What takes time and dominates everything else is giving accounts that,
for whatever reason, are worthy of it, a closer look, and that is no
faster with the welcome tool.  Using it would make sense if we had a
substantially higher influx of new accounts and/or were splitting the
work up. But it means more moving parts which in turn cause extra work too.

Simon