[talk-ch] New Membership Outreach

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Aug 30 11:27:42 CEST 2022

Am 29.08.2022 um 19:52 schrieb Christopher Beddow:
> Aha thanks Simon, and agreed, too much stuff becomes too much work.
> The new message goes to the OSM Inbox?

Yes, and there's currently no alternative. Most editors will indicate
that you have unread messages, so it doesn't entirely rely on e-mail
working for notification. There are a couple of open issues for the
rails-port on potential improvements to the messaging system, but that's
a bit out of scope here.

One thing to note is that we historically haven't promoted becoming a
SOSM member in a big way. On the one hand we've always wanted to avoid
the impression that you need to participate in organized activities to
contribute to OSM, on the other hand, as I mentioned, we've always
understood ourselves as a service organisation and that doesn't really
require mass membership. More members would clearly be good, in
particular more active members, but that leads to the same dilemma as
being active in the OSMF and OSMF working groups. Either you need to
spend more time on OSM or it takes away from mapping which is likely why
you started being a regular OSM contributor in the first place.

The larger challenge is that the novelty of OpenStreetMap has worn off,
naturally totally expected and compounded by OSM being a success and in
a sense "winning". This makes contacts with governments, other
organisations and the industry far easier, but on the other hand has
reduced media coverage in Switzerland to a trickle over recent years,
making it difficult to get the message out to a larger audience.

Simon