[talk-ch] Draft changes for the hiking network wiki page

René Buffat buffat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:01:13 CEST 2021

Salut Raphael

This is indeed not clear from the draft description. I will try to update
it to make it more clear. In general with most of the existing relations
there is only one relation between two signposts. In rare cases there are
hiking routes that are signed in only one direction. In these cases, based
on Michael Spreng`s advice, I put a signed_direction=yes (e.g. [1]).

Mapping hiking times was also already previously mentioned. I'm not sure
what the best way would be to map them. Typically, hiking times on
guideposts are shown to a selection of "hiking destinations". The closest
destination is not necessarily the next guidepost with a white label. In
Ticino I saw that somebody mapped hiking times [2], but to be honest I do
not yet fully understand how this works.

Personally, I'm not sure if I would map hiking times. From my experience, I
prefer using apps such as the "Berner Wanderplaner" or the new swisstopo
app that estimates the hiking time using the route and elevation data and
allows to adjust the hiking speed according to my fitness.

I was not aware of yway.ch. I assume nobody was in contact with them
before. A tool to collect guidepost photos would be quite nice. I assume
I'm not the only one with a lot of guidepost photos on his phone.

lg rene

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1437462
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4593590352