[talk-ch] Draft changes for the hiking network wiki page

René Buffat buffat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:02:06 CEST 2021

Dear All

Since after the online meeting a while ago I tried to formulate a draft
based on the discussions on the mailing list / the meeting. Due to lack of
time and energy, this took unfortunately a lot longer than I initially
thought.

The current draft can be found here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RIn4vOpPggEzJOv9AMl1egxzeMLpkgxF0q8nWuFhUaE/edit?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, I can't send the PDF version (for people that do not want to
access a google server) to the mailing list, as it is too big. But I'm open
to suggestions for alternatives.

If you like, please create comments directly in the document or reply to
this email when you have feedback. The idea would be to collect all
discussion points at the bottom of the document and mark the discussed
parts of the document with comments.

When writing the draft, I had the following thoughts:

   -  It would be could to include some background information about the
   Swiss hiking network as this could give some context for the rest of the
   document and might facilitate discussions about the topic.
   - There are different opinions on what level of detail the hiking
   network should be mapped. It is thus important to clearly state a minimal
   goal but also allow some flexibility.
   - Changes to the wiki page should not contradict existing mapped
   relations, except there are good reasons for it (such as e.g. the issue
   with using name tags for relations that clash with nominatim)
   - Figures are sometimes better to explain things than text.
   - For some regions, open datasets exist that contain the hiking network
   but no information about guideposts. These datasets should be usable.

lg rene