[talk-ch] swiss topo open data

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Sep 15 10:57:26 CEST 2021

Hi Jean-Daniel

Technically I wouldn't expect the numbers to be exactly the same, as the
elevation in OSM needs to be metres above above mean sea level as
defined by the EGM96 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGM96> geoid model.
This is unlikely to really differ a lot, but should be taken in to
account, if you see differences that are in the 30-50 m range then they
are likely values above the GPS ellipsoid (and should be corrected).
See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ele
https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/maps-data-online/calculation-services/navref.html
might help with checking this.

Are you actually using the 1:25'000 map? If yes I would use Carte
Nationale SwissTopo and add the scale. On the other hand I'm fairly sure
their https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/de/geodata/landscape/names3d.html
dataset includes elevations too (general warning about the swissnames
dataset, the names need to be taken with a lot of salt, don't use them
without checking locally first).

Simon