[talk-ch] Tagging of facilities for childcare in Switzerland

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Dec 28 11:10:03 CET 2021

Am 26.12.2021 um 16:51 schrieb Toggenburger Lukas:
> - Do you agree in deprecating and manually retagging amenity=childcare instances?

Nope.

As you probably know the mapping of childcare facilities has a rather
mixed, if not to say controversial history in OSM. But the infamous
original amenity=childcare proposal didn't fail because it doesn't make
sense to tag different things differently, but because of weaknesses in
the proposal itself. But outside of the specific proposal it the use of
the tagging has been largely unproblematic and in the same order of
magnitude as amenity=kindergarten in CH.

In any case of the German-speaking countries I know of, only Austria
-actually- uses "Kindergarten" (irl) for other things than pre-school
education and I would consider it too confusing to treat general
childcare and Kindergarten as the same thing here. Additionally in CH we
have a very clear delineation as all cantons provide at least one year
of Kindergarten and all with the exception GR require at least one year
of mandatory attendance. I can't see a rationale for mixing up the 1st
level of state provided education with everything else that has a
clearly different purpose.

The other reason to not mix things up is while we have a formal legal
definition of Kindergarten we don't really have it for anything else,
outside of permission being required to offer such services for children
under the age of 12 (there are some Cantons that regulate a bit more in
detail) . So really those clear cut categories don't exist outside of
whatever the facility uses in their name.