[talk-ch] Tagging of facilities for childcare in Switzerland
Lukas.Toggenburger at fhgr.ch
Sun Dec 26 16:51:02 CET 2021
tl;dr: I seek advice for tagging different facilities for childcare in Switzerland.
I got a waiver to import data from the city of Uster  and am in the process of preparing this data for an import. Before discussing the specifics of this import, I would like to clarify some general questions regarding Switzerland-specific tagging of places for childcare that came up while working with this dataset.
Regarding childcare I would like to be able to tag the following use-cases, which I believe should cover the most common cases we have in Switzerland:
- A: (what I call "Kindergarten" in german): Part of the mandatory swiss school education for children of the age of approx. 4 to 6.
- B: ("Kita"): Where working parents can bring their children (approx. aged 0 to 4) during office hours (up to 5 full days a week). There is a definition at  that defines a Kita/use-case B as: Cares periodically for children aged 3 months until the age where compulsory school ends, on at least 5 half-days, offering 6 or more slots.
- C: ("Spielgruppe"): Where children go approx. once per week for only a few hours. The legal hurdles to operate such a facility are lower than those for use-case B, but seem to differ for each canton. Food/lunch is normally not offered.
- D: ("Hort"): Where children of age approx. 4+ go before/between/after mandatory school visits, so parents can work.
- E: ("Krabbelgruppe"): A place where parents together with their children (aged approx. 0 to 2) meet regularly (e.g. once per week) for a small number of hours.
I have a bit of a hard time mapping the existing Wiki entries to the above use-cases. My understanding (mostly from ) is this:
- A: amenity=kindergarten, preschool=yes, operator:type=public, min_age=4, max_age=6, isced:level:2011=0
- B: amenity=kindergarten, nursery=yes, operator:type=private, min_age=3 months, breakfast=yes, lunch=yes
- C: amenity=kindergarten, operator:type=private, min_age=4
- D: amenity=kindergarten, after_school=yes, operator:type=private, min_age=4,
- E: (seems undefined yet)
What I don't like about it:
- The tagging for these almost don't differ, although I expect that for parents looking for a form of childcare the differences are significant. Especially between use-case B and C there is almost no distinction.
- amenity=kindergarten is used 2427 times in Switzerland . There is a competing tag amenity=childcare that is used non-negligible 726 times  in Switzerland. Its meaning is unclear to me (see  and ) and it is mentioned in a rejected  and an abandoned  proposal.
Please share your input on the following questions:
- Have I missed a significant use-case for childcare?
- Do you agree with my tagging for the aforementioned use-cases?
- Do you see a good way how we could tag the difference between use-cases B and C? Is this already given by nursery=yes? Maybe tag their membership to either kibesuisse (use-case B)  or SSLV (use-case C)  (might not be given/known for all)? How to do so? Or define a tag playgroup=yes or CH:playgroup=yes?
- Do you agree in deprecating and manually retagging amenity=childcare instances?
- What would be the easiest way to get a list of all mappers that tagged amenity=childcare onto objects in Switzerland to invite them for input?
- Shall I (we?) go to the tagging mailing list trying to get consensus for a tag for use-case E? What should it be? baby_crawling_group=yes ?
- Do you know any public map that is already showing the given use-cases?
- What have I missed or got wrong?
More information about the talk-ch